Fujifilm Cameras's Fan Box

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Totally inspired

I went to a Toronto Ad Club event on Tuesday, May 27 for Internet Day 2008. This year’s keynote was Colleen Decourcy, Chief Digital Officer of TBWA Chiat Day, NYC – my very first industry idol.

I originally read about Colleen Decourcy in a copy of Canadian Business that talked about her background as CCO for Organic Toronto, Chief Experience Officer at JWT and then Chief Digital Officer at TBWA Chiat Day. The article talked about her creativity, ingenuity and her ability to bridge the gap between digital and traditional experiences.

I kept the article at work because it really inspired me at a time when I didn’t know what was going to happen. At the time, I had just left a large ad agency for one that was virtually unknown to pursue a career in an area that most people had never heard of. Colleen represents a future that I wasn’t really sure existed.

After her presentation, I walked up to her and all the clever speeches I made up flew out of my head. I clumsily mumbled something and she gave me the sparkliest of smiles and embraced me. As others crowded around to speak with her, I backed away, numbed by the suddenness of it all.

I am thankful that the unconventional path that I had chosen last November had brought me to this point where I could meet someone that I look up to and be acknowledged by her. It may not have been the most daring of conversations, but in the grand scheme of things, it was kind of perfect.

Next post will focus on Colleen Decourcy’s presentation on the deep engagement.

No comments: