Fujifilm Cameras's Fan Box

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why Interactive?

It's not just the hype the brought me into interactive. It's that I've always been a part of it, and as long as I have my eyes, fingers and a fully functioning brain, I will always be a part of the www.

Being only two years out of school, I have a lot to learn, so I can hardly sell myself as any kind of expert. My strength lies in my well-developed instincts about technology and online trends. This is not really something they can teach you at school, and I know lots of people my age and younger who just don't get it.

My love of the Internet can be traced back to 1997. I was only 12 and I can still hear the vivid bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrcccccccccctttchhhhhhhhhhweeeeeeeeee of dial up.

I created my own Geocities homepage when I was 13 which was actually just a blog, but it still got 100 unique visitors every month! I've learned that it's much more difficult now to find an audience.

I was an mIRC, Chathouse, ICQ fanatic, used Napster/Morpheus, played online multiplayer games until the wee hours of the morning, had an AsianAvenue account, and had taught myself basic HTML.

I've ridden the wave of the Dot Com Boom even though I was too young to realize it. I've observed with fascination the evolution of social media, user experience, direct marketing, e-commerce, gaming and content sharing.

So tomorrow, when I meet face-to-face with one of the leaders in Canadian digital marketing, I will remember who I am. While I don't have influence over the future of the Internet or shaping it on a large scale; I will always stay true to my vision...

The Internet is a limitless arena for influencing the way people think/feel/act by:

  • Providing information to the people who want it
  • Unique and personal experiences that are meaningful and useful
  • Transcends physical boundaries by connecting people and ideas

And as the depth and breadth of the Internet grows, so will I.

No comments: